Here we are on Day 9 of the poem-a-day challenge! Today’s word is “Orange,” which, as all poets know, is impossible to rhyme. It is so well-known, in fact, that the fabulous poet and children’s book author, Adam Rex, recently wrote a hilarious picture book all about it, called “Nothing Rhymes With Orange” (If you’ve never read it, I highly recommend!) So, when I found out that someone decided that it would be cute to try to stump those of us in this poetry challenge with the word “orange,” well… let’s just say, I had a few feelings….
Past Interviews and Appearances:
- Cover reveal for BRAINSTORM! on author Vivian Kirkfield’s blog.
- BRAINSTORM! and KidLit Caravan featured on Tara Lazar’s blog, Writing for Kids (While Raising Them).
- Watch me read my poem, “Our Walk To School,” from the award-winning children’s poetry anthology: Hop To It: Poems To Get You Moving (Pomelo Books, 2020) on Michelle Schaub’s blog, Poetry Boost: Using Poetry to Boost Literacy.
- Watch the mini-movie of my poem, “Our Walk To School,” on Sylvia Vardell’s blog, Poetry for Children.
Awards & Accolades
- Winner of the 2021 SCBWI Magazine Merit Award for my poem, “Lemons!”
- “Elite 8” Finalist (out of 64 children’s poets!) in the Madness!Poetry Tournament, 2021
- Honorable Mention in Vivian Kirkfield’s #50PreciousWords contest, 2021
- Second Place, Susanna Hill’s Holiday Contest for Children’s Writers, 2020
- First Place, Susanna Hill’s Holiday Contest for Children’s Writers, 2019
- #PBChat Mentee, chosen by Lori Degman, 2019
- #PBParty Finalist, 2019